You may have heard of dental implants. They are one of the most versatile devices available for dental restorations, such as Walker periodontal disease and dental implants. They can help you replace missing teeth and restore a natural, healthy smile. This is critical because gaps may cause the remaining teeth to shift. They can also cause serious bite problems due to crooked teeth. But the question is what are dental implants made of? What does dental implant material mean? Let us explore what constitutes the best dental implant materials used in the world of dental implants today.
Over the years, almost all dental implants are derived from a material called titanium. But with the advent of technology, more and more dental implants are now made of different dental implant materials. These materials have undergone extensive research, strictly considering the physical and chemical properties that affect their clinical applications. Such properties include the microstructure and surface composition of the implant. Preferably, the dental implant material should exhibit biocompatibility. They should also be resistant to corrosion and cracking.
Dental implant materials can be designed and composed of titanium or zirconium materials. Despite the use of dental implant materials, they must be strong and strong. The strength and design of dental implant materials must be compatible with physical properties.
The following are the common types of dental implant materials used to manufacture dental implants these days:
- Titanium dental implant material-made of metal, titanium is considered the most common type of dental implant. Its great features were discovered in 1950. During this period, research results showed that implants made of titanium can make bones grow normally. That is, when in contact with bones without interference; bones will grow beside them. In turn, this will create a permanent affinity.
- Since its discovery, titanium dental implant materials have been the most popular implants. It provides long-term results at a very reasonable cost. It is still one of the best dental implant materials ever.
- Zirconia dental implant material-in contrast to titanium, zirconia is the latest invention. It is considered the most promising future for dental implant materials. In the early 1990s, zirconia dental implant materials were completely used for abutments. But during this time, titanium implant materials are still very popular.
It was not until 2003 that coralroot released the first all-in-one crown based on dental implant materials. The popularity of zirconia dental implant materials is rising.
What makes certain dental implant materials better than others?
As mentioned earlier, the two main dental implant materials are titanium and zirconia. Both of these dental implant materials have their unique functions. As a metal, titanium has become the first choice for all forms of bone plate implants. Millions of patients have already benefited from titanium.
Here are the reasons why titanium is still the most effective dental implant material in history, which is better than zirconia.
- The titanium implant material and its design can be produced in a two-piece system. These are a single abutment, located on top of the implant and connected to the replacement tooth. The other is a post surgically implanted into the bone. Zirconia does not have this function. Instead, it is made as one.
- Similarly, titanium is the best dental implant material because of its biocompatibility. This means it is correct and closely matches the human body. It can also fuse with human bones.
- The two-piece system enables customizable implants to solve the problem of insufficient bone. This means that even if you are experiencing bone loss, you can still have a pleasant smile.
- However, the zirconia dental implant reduces the fear of bacteria hiding and affecting the gums. Despite this good advantage, zirconia dental implant materials and ceramic designs have not yet been fully understood. This is because it has been around for too long. Therefore, unlike titanium dental implant materials, it has not been tested in any way.
If you are still not sure which dental implant material to use, your dentist can help you.